Wednesday, January 8, 2014

January 6, 2014

It's been 1 week without an ACL.  Life is pretty much the same and Im getting accustomed to Bruce the Brace although we (me) argue sometimes.  It gets pretty warm and itchy so I also have some nice scratches from the post brace wearing scratching sessions.

But today was exciting for an entirely new reason…..my first PT appointment.!  Her name is Carla and I have to tell you, she's pretty awesome.  She tore her ACL/MCL a couple of years ago on one of those silly bike falls when you are going like 2 mph and you can't get your foot unclipped fast enough.  Dr. Stull fixed her up.  Ouch.  I guess I'm glad mine was skiing???

Oh, and I've decided to re-vamp my ski fall story.  It now looks and sounds a lot like what Lindsey Vonn did last year…..you know, I was racing the gates going like 50mph and hit a bit of bad snow.  Lots of somersaults and tumbles.  Airlifted off the mountain.  Now back to my actual life….

Anywho, she did the knee exam and we talked about surgery and recovery and I really liked her!!  Especially when she said that Kona is not at all out of the picture.  And bike riding in France is not out of the picture (as long as I have enough gears).  Recovery basically takes place on the bike and in the pool.  So if I can be running by May…..
Carla's on the floor demonstrating an exercise.  I'm listening intently. 
So currently I can bend my knee to a 115 degree angle.  Normal is 130-150.  By the way, all my PT friends - if this is a bunch of BS let me know before I fall in love with her:)  And I should be able to ride a bike!!!  YAY!!  But only for 15 minutes.  BOOO!!!!  I have a series of exercises to do 2-3x daily and I see her again on Wednesday for my first real session.  I have a feeling she may put the hurt on.  Bring it!!!

Charlotte and Kona helping out with PT.


1 comment:

  1. Ha:) Trust her, she will be your biggest fan and may hurt you but at the end of the day you will see her for hours on end and your surgeon for a few minutes:)
    I think i have always heard that waiting till the swelling subsides is pretty mandatory. Maybe Dr. Steadman does it at Vail but think longevity here too. You dont want a TKA at the age of 55 and you want to think long term at the health of the joint as well. IT all happened so fast that i know once you get into a PT routine you will be more at ease with the "schedule" and be able to make decisions as time goes on. Sounds like an Ironman doesnt it. Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete